previous
next

Teetulpa

Gold had first been found in SA in 1846, although one field after another had quickly been worked out in a succession of shortlived rushes. In 1886 the discovery of gold at Brady's Creek at Teetulpa


  ― 494 ―
sparked a frantic goldrush: according to the Terowie Enterprise and North-Eastern Advertiser Of 14 February 189o, 'the public still have fresh in their recollections the excitement which was occasioned by the discovery of gold at Teetulpa a few years ago' (p. 3). Many years later, a participant described it in terms which mirror The Silent Sea's account of the rush to Broornbush Creek (219: 2-1 g):

It was a scene of feverish bustle. Rich men and poor arrived from all points of the compass to seek their fortunes. They came in Hill & Co.'s coaches, in turnouts, on wagons and on foot.

The coaches were crowded with men of all types-some with picks and shovels, some with tents, some with swags, and some with nothing. Many had never seen a pick and shovel before. They came how they could.note

A hospital was established (cf. 290M as part of the large (mainly canvas) township which sprang up at Teetulpa. As the goldfield declined, miners and services shifted to Waukaringa, but the hospital was still at Teetulpa in 1890 (cf 363:7).note One of the two mail-coach services between Teetulpa and Yunta was run by Circus Jack Davey (cf. "Circus Bill", 264:35), a former circus proprietor noted for his ability to drive a team of horses with one hand while playing the cornet with the other. He later ran a coach service, in opposition to Hill & Co., between Yunta and Waukaringa.

previous
next